I thought I would close out the year with another message from my church. Again, not my words but the words and message notes of my pastor. The Christmas message is one that always sets me toward the Lord. It’s such a great message to end the holiday season and begin a New Year.
THE FIRST CHRISTMAS DIDNT START OFF “MERRY”
The first people who celebrated the first Christmas were stressed and overwhelmed.
- Mary was confused and worried
- Confused and disturbed, Mary tried to think what the angel could mean. Luke 1:29
- Joseph was hurt and brokenhearted
- Joseph, her fiance, was a good man and did not want to disgrace her publicly, so he decided to break the engagement quietly. Matthew 1:19
- The shepherds were scared to death
- That night there were shepherds staying in the fields nearby, guarding their flocks of sheep. Suddenly, an angel of the Lord appeared among them, and the radiance of the Lord’s glory surrounded them. They were terrified. Luke 2:8-9
- The wise men were exhausted
- Now after Jesus was born, some men traveled a long way from the east and finally arrived in Jerusalem. Matthew 2:1
In my life, I need and crave less stress and more peace. I need to replenish my exhausted soul by looking UP to God. When my focus changes, my feelings will change.
- Everything changes for Mary when she focused on God’s promises
- Luke 1:37-38; 48; 58
- Everything changed for Joseph when he focused on God’s plan
- Matthew 1:20
- Everything changed for the shepherds when they looked up
- Luke 2:9-17, 20
- Everything changed for the wise men when they met Jesus
- Matthew 2:9-11
THE CHRISTMAS GIFT JESUS OFFERS TO YOU
Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light. Matthew 11:28-30
Watch this inspiring message from Saddleback Church and be encouraged as you learn what the Bible says about God’s purpose for your life.